Yesterday at the gathering we spent the whole morning watching TV. But we watched it with new eyes. I took our students through CPYU’s “The Simple 7” questions about filtering media messages. We watched some of the best Super Bowl ads from last year on our iPhones and talked about the following 7 questions:
1. What product is this ad selling?
2. What, besides the product, is this ad
selling (ideas, lifestyle, worldview, etc.)
3. What’s the bait, hook, and promise?
4. Complete this sentence: “This ad tells me, use _________ (the name of the product) and ___________ (the result the ad promises)
5. Does the ad tell the truth? What? How?
6. Does the ad tell a lie(s)? What? How?
7. How does this ad and its messages agree or disagree with God’s truth and what does that mean for me?
Here are the ads we watched: