The storyline of the Bible continues into the Church Era, in which “Peter is used by God to established the Church.”
Little c, Big C
The little c “church” is the local group/congregation of believers in an autonomous body called a church. Kirk of the Hills is a little c “church.”
The big C “Church” is the universal group/congregation of all believers in all places from all time. Kirk of the Hills is part of the big C “Church,” along with every other church that believes, teaches, and lives the gospel of Jesus Christ.
When someone becomes a Christian, they become part of the Church, which is the body of Christ.
If church is all about khakis and collars so we can “get fed” until next Sunday, then Jesus really died a pointless death. Thankfully, it’s not. There are 5 major purposes of the Church:
- And every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple complex…Acts 2.46
- On a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (fantastic), how would you rate your worship of God?
GROW in faith
- And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayers…Acts 2.42
- On a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (fantastic), how would you rate the growth of your relationship with God?
CONNECT with believers
- Now all the believers were together and had everything in common…Acts 2.44
- On a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (fantastic), how would you rate your friendships with other Christians?
- So they sold their possessions and property and distributed the proceeds to all, as anyone had a need…Acts 2.45
- On a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (fantastic), how would you rate your ministry to others?
REACH the world
- And every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved…Acts 2.47
- On a scale of 1 (poor) to 10 (fantastic), how would you rate your sharing of the gospel message?
The goal here is not to go from 1 to 10 in a day. The goal is to go from 1 to 2. Then from 2 to 3; 3 to 4…
Growth is the key. What started out as only 12 disciples soon became 72. That 72 turned into 120. That 120 grew to 3,000 in one day. And so on.
The purpose of church is not to get fed. The purpose is to get equipped to serve and grow.
So find your weak spot, improve it by the grace of God, and help the Church grow.